New climate change projections for Australia
CSIRO and the Bureau of Meteorology have released climate change projections for Australia that provide updated national and regional information on how the climate may change to the end of the 21st century. The 2015 projections provide greater levels of detail and confidence compared to previous projections, and incorporate an increased knowledge base.
The key findings are that:-
- Australia's average temperature will increase and we will experience more heat extremes and fewer cold extremes.
- Extreme rainfall events that lead to flooding are likely to become more intense.
- The number of tropical cyclones is projected to decrease but they may be more intense and reach further south.
- Southern and eastern Australia is projected to experience harsher fire weather.
- Sea levels will continue to rise throughout the 21st century and beyond.
- Oceans around Australia will warm and become more acidic.
More information and a downloadable version of the full report can be found at www.climatechangeinaustralia.gov.au